(4) The word of the LORD came to me: (5) Before I created you in the womb, I selected you;
Before you were born, I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet concerning the nations. (6) I replied:
Ah, Lord GOD!
I don’t know how to speak,
For I am still a boy.
(7) And the LORD said to me:
Do not say, “I am still a boy,”
But go wherever I send you
And speak whatever I command you. (8) Have no fear of them,
For I am with you to deliver you
—declares the LORD.
(9) The LORD put out His hand and touched my mouth, and the LORD said to me: Herewith I put My words into your mouth. (10) See, I appoint you this day
Over nations and kingdoms:
To uproot and to pull down,
To destroy and to overthrow,
To build and to plant.
(11) The word of the LORD came to me: What do you see, Jeremiah? I replied: I see a branch of an almond tree. (12) The LORD said to me:
You have seen right,
For I am watchful to bring My word to pass.
(13) And the word of the LORD came to me a second time: What do you see? I replied:
I see a steaming pot,
Tipped away from the north. (14) And the LORD said to me:
From the north shall disaster break loose
Upon all the inhabitants of the land! (15) For I am summoning all the peoples
Of the kingdoms of the north
—declares the LORD.
They shall come, and shall each set up a throne
Before the gates of Jerusalem,
Against its walls round about,
And against all the towns of Judah. (16) And I will argue My case against them
For all their wickedness:
They have forsaken Me
And sacrificed to other gods
And worshiped the works of their hands.
(17) So you, gird up your loins,
Arise and speak to them
All that I command you.
Do not break down before them,
Lest I break you before them. (18) I make you this day
A fortified city,
And an iron pillar,
And bronze walls
Against the whole land—
Against Judah’s kings and officers,
And against its priests and citizens. (19) They will attack you,
But they shall not overcome you;
For I am with you—declares the LORD—to save you.