Artist, Tzfat, Israel, 2010 © Zion Ozeri
1) The words the artist is carving in the photograph come from the beginning of the book of Genesis: "In the beginning God created the heavens..." How do these words effect your understanding of this photograph?
2) What other title and caption or midrash might you suggest for this image?
1) Why do you think Rabban Gamliel thinks it is "excellent" to combine studying Torah with a "worldly occupation?" What do the two contribute to one another?
2) Saying that study alone leads to sin is a pretty strong statement for a rabbi. Why do you think Rabban Gamliel might say that?
3) Think about times in your life when you have chosen one priority over another. What is that experience like? What is it like to try to achieve more than one of your priorities?
Help build a digital scrapbook by adding your own image or Midrash, with a caption, here, in response to these questions:
1) What does it look like to make practical choices that are influenced by or combined with Torah ideals?
2) What happens when we divorce our ideals from the work that we do on a daily basis?