(1) This hymn has been attributed to R' Shlomo ibn Gabirol who lived in Spain during the eleventh century. While praising God's omnipotence and providence, it clarifies the meaning of the name Adonoy so that before proceeding to pray, each worshiper understands the significance of the God he is addressing.
(2) Master of the Universe Who reigned
(3) before any creature was created.
(4) At the time when all was made by His will,
(5) then was His Name proclaimed King.
(6) And after all things shall cease to be
(7) the Awesome One will reign alone.
(8) He was, He is,
(9) and He shall be in glory.
(10) He is One, and there is no second
(11) to compare to Him, to associate [with Him].
(12) Without beginning, without end,
(13) power and dominion are His.
(14) He is my God and my ever-living Redeemer,
(15) the Rock of my destiny in times of distress.
(16) He is my flag9It is to Him that I rally and through Him that I am identified.—Etz Yosef and my refuge;
(17) He is the portion of my cup on the day I call.10He answers me.
(18) Into His hand I entrust my spirit
(19) [both] when I sleep and when I awaken.
(20) And with my spirit my body [too],
(21) Adonoy is with me, I shall not fear.