Besides finding connections to the text, what else can I find on the sidebar?
The sidebar gives you access to a wide variety of texts and tools that were designed to enhance your experience on the Sefaria site. Each feature will be explained below.
What can I do with "Other Text"?
The "Other Text" feature allows you to place any two or more texts side-by-side. You can scroll through each text independently.
1. Click on your first text to open the "Resources" panel.
2. Click on "Other Text".
3. A complete Table of Contents page will open next to your original text. Choose the text that you would like to place next to your text.
4. The two texts will now be displayed side-by-side.
5. Another text can be added by following the same steps with the second selected text.
What is the "sheets" button and what is the number in the parenthesis?
Clicking on the sheets button will open a list of sheets that contain the primary text. The number in parenthesis is the number of public sheets that include the text. Click on the name of any sheet to open it next to the primary text.
How can I add notes to the database and who will see them?
When you are on the website and logged into your account, you can add private notes to the database. The notes can only be seen by you. Notes can include links and text.
To add notes:
Click on the verse or text to open the sidebar.
Click on "Notes".
Write your note. When adding a URL, use http or https.
Click "Add Note".
The note now appears in the sidebar.
How do I edit or delete a note?
- Click on “Notes” in the sidebar.
- Hover over the note to reveal the pencil. Click on the pencil.
Edit the note and click “Save”. Click “Delete Note” if you wish to delete the note.
How do I find my notes?
There are three ways to find your notes.
Click on the verse. The sidebar will open and “Notes” will indicate that you have a note. Clicking on "Notes" will open the note for you.
2. Click "Notes" from the sidebar. Select "Go to My Notes" to see a list of all of your notes.
3. From the profile page, click on "Notes" and a list of all of your notes will appear.
The lists in choices #2 and #3 are helpful if you don't remember which verse you attached your note to.
Can I add a note directly to a source sheet?
Yes! To add a note to a source sheet:
From the sidebar, click on “Notes” and then click on “Go to My Notes”.
Click on “Add to Sheet” above the note you would like to add.
Select the sheet that you would like to add the note to or create a new sheet.
Click “Add to Sheet”.
What is the "topics " button and what is the number in parenthesis?
Clicking on the topics button will take you to the list of topics pages related to the text. The number in parenthesis tells you how many topics pages are available. Click on the topic that you would like to learn about. For more information about topics, click here.
What exactly is this text?
Clicking on "About" in the sidebar will give you information about the text that you are reading and will let you know which versions are being shown.
How do I learn about the translation that I am reading? How do I switch to a different translation?
For many texts, Sefaria hosts various translations. Information about the translations is located on the sidebar.
To change translations:
1. Click "Translations" on the sidebar.
2. Choose the translation that you would like to use.
How do I look up a word in the dictionary while reading in the library?
There are two ways to look up a word while reading in the library.
1. Double click on the word that you would like defined and the dictionary entry appears in the sidebar.
2. Click on "Dictionaries" and type the word into the search bar.
For more information about Sefaria's reference works, see How Do I Use Sefaria's Reference Tools?
What will I find if I click on "Web Pages"?
Clicking on "Web Pages" will open a list of websites that use Sefaria's Linker on their site. The linker connects web posts to Sefaria when they quote a text. Websites such as My Jewish Learning, Rabbi Sacks, and the Virtual Beit Midrash use the linker and their posts are linked to the texts that they quote.
1. Click on "Web Pages"
2. Choose a website.
3. Peruse through posts from the site and open those that interest you.
How can I easily share a text that I like with others?
The "share" feature allows you to easily share a text by giving you the link or by sharing to Facebook, Twitter, or directly into an email with one click.
1. Click on "Tools".
2. Select "Share".
3. Choose how you would like to share the text.
How do I add a translation or edit an existing translation?
1. Click on "Tools".
2. Select "Add Translation".
3. Type your translation and click "Save".
4. Sefaria community translations can be edited by users.
- Log into your account
- Open the translation by following the steps above.
- Edit and click "Save".
How do I add a connection?
Thousands of connections have been made between texts in the Sefaria library. If you find a connection between two texts that hasn't already been made, you can add it yourself by following these steps:
1. Click “Tools” and then “Add Connection”.
2. A Table of Contents page will open up. Select the text you would like to connect to the first text. Your two texts are now side-by-side.
3. Click on the second text. A third panel will open. Click “Tools”.
4. Click “Add Connection”. You will now see that your two texts will be connected.
5. Select your type of connection and “Add Connection”.
How can I send feedback to Sefaria via the website?
While you are reading in the library, feel free to get in touch with our team. Using the sidebar, you can send us an email and get it sent to the proper department.
1. Click on "Feedback"
2. Select the type of feedback you would like to give, such as a bug report, a request for help, or even a hearty thank you.
3. Write the text of the email and press "Send".