The source of this document is the English translation of the original list of 365 questions in Rabbi Wohlgemuth’s original Sefer Mekorot that he gave to every one of his Beurei HaTefillah students at the start of their four-year shared journey in the study of Tefillah. These lessons covered Rabbi Isaiah Wohlgemuth's entire course material.
Rabbi Wohlgemuth understood the need for repetition and extension of subjects previously covered and introduced in an earlier grade. As their knowledge and understanding grew, the questions on classroom progress quizzes, and especially the final exam all 12th grade students had to pass to receive their diploma, were all taken from these 365 questions. Rabbi Wohlgemuth did not use them to test his students’ knowledge, but most importantly to reinforce their understanding and retention of the Tefillah topic.
Once, published a list identifying the page/s in the OU Press edition of Rabbi Isaiah Wohlgemuth’s book Guide to Jewish Prayer where each of the 300 questions are discussed will be added to this document.
PRELIMINARY BLESSINGS 1
BLESSINGS ON THE TORAH 12
MORNING BLESSINGS 23
KRIYAT SHEMA AND ITS BLESSINGS 53
TORAH READING ON MONDAY AND THURSDAY 113
DAILY PSALM 127
THE PRIESTLY BLESSING 129
ROSH HASHANAH 168
YOM KIPPUR 191
SHAKING THE LULAV 208
THE PESACH HAGGADAH 220
SHABBAT EVENING PRAYERS 280
ON READING TORAH AND HAFTORAH 290
Translated February 2019 by the Maimonides School 12th Grade Hebrew Language Class — Barak Cerf and his students: Elazer Cramer; Ben Fisher; Ayelet Fried; Danya Gewurz; Rafi Kaplan; Chaviva Liss; Ariella Nahoumi; Sophie Ana Paris; Kinneret Rosen; Talya Saltzman; Joshua Schoenberg; Michael Schwartz; Gavi Spellman; Daphna Spira; Eitan Traum; Daphna Spira; Eitan Traum.
- Can you say “אשר קדשנו במצוותיו וציונו” (that Hashem sanctified us with His commandments) on a Rabbinic mitzvah?
- “ברוך אתה...״ How can a man bless Hashem?
- Why, in the blessing, do we switch from אתה, second person, to נסתר, third person?
- Why do we use the phrase “נטילת” (to take) your hands instead of “רחיצת” (to wash) your hands?
- Why do we not open the blessings with the אלקי נשמה? Explain according to different methods.
- What is the definition of “מפליא לעשות”?
- Why do we conclude with two ideas, Healer of all flesh and Amazing in all he does?
- How do we read it: חללים or חלולים?
- Should we skip over the word ״היא״ in “אלקי נשמה שנתת בי טהורה היא״
- Why is there dual/repetitive language in ״אתה בראת אתה יצרת אתה נפחת בי״
- What is the definition of the ending phrase “המחזיר נשמות לפגרים מתים”
BLESSINGS ON THE TORAH
- How many blessings on the Torah do we make every day? (Dispute of the ראשונים)
- Why do we need more than one blessing?
- What is the best place for the Blessings on the Torah in our prayer?
- Do we need to teach after saying the blessings on the Torah? Or is it permitted to have an interruption before learning/ teaching?
- What is customary to learn right after the Blessings on the Torah? Why these ideas?
- Can we rely on “אהבה רבה” in the place of the Blessings on the Torah?
- What is the version of the רי׳ף in the place of “לעסוק בדברי תורה”?
- Why do we never say a blessing after we learn Torah in the same way we say a blessing after reading the Torah in shul?
- Why don’t we introduce the Blessings on the Torah with “ברכו” like we do when we read the Torah?
- Are women exempt from the blessings on the Torah?
- Do we make the blessings of the Torah on all types of study, the biblical verses, the Mishna, and the Talmud?
- For each morning blessing, which concept do we bless Hashem with?
- These additional blessings were added after the completion of the Talmud, why?
- These blessings mention Israel, why?
- We are used to saying the morning blessings in the synagogue, why? Explain according to the opinions of the מחבר and the רמ"א.
- Are the morning blessings blessings of praise or blessings of gratitude?
- How do you finish the blessing of ‘מעביר שינה’? Is this ending similar to the beginning?
- Is this blessing in the singular form (מעיני) or the plural form (ותגמלינו)?
- “וכוף את יצרינו להשתעבד לך...” Is everything in the hands of Hashem except for the fear of Hashem?
- “ויהי רצון ...שתציליני מעזי פנים ומעזות פנים” What is the source of this prayer and which other prayers have the same source?
- Why do we bless that we were not made Christian, women, or slaves?
- What is better: that we weren’t made Christians or that we were made Jews? Compare the ברייתא versus the תוספתא.
STUDYING THE TORAH BEFORE תפילה AND פסוקי דזימרא
- How do we explain the pasuk “ושננתם לבניך”?
- Explain the contradiction between רש"י and the ב"ח on “לא צריכא ליומי”?
- How do we fulfill this obligation every day before ברוך שאמר? How you can fulfill this obligation according to רבינו תם?
- What do we learn? Why do we learn this?
- What is the daily praise? Explain the disagreement of the ראשונים.
- Why is one who reads the הלל המצרי everyday considered to be blaspheming? If so, what is the comprehensive difference between הלל המצרי and daily הלל?
- How do we prepare for the prayer according to the משנה and the ברייתא in the beginning of פרק אין עומדין?
- Explain the significance of פרק קמ"ה in the book of תהילים. What are the important ideas in this psalm?
- These verses proceed and add to the psalm-why?
- These verses are repeated in פסוקי דזמרא -why?
- In which cases do we skip פסוקי דזמרא or part of it, why?
- What are the parts of פסוקי דזמרא? What and why do we add to them on שבת?
- Where do we stand in פסוקי דזמרא? Why?
- We make a blessing before and after פסוקי דזמרא, where and in which concept is the blessing after פסוקי דזמרא mentioned in the Talmud?
- Do we stand for this blessing? Explain the disagreement of the פוסקים.
- Why don’t we begin with the word “ברוך” in ישתבח?
- What is the central idea of this blessing?
- Is it permissible to stop between ישתבח and יוצר? Read the סוגיה in .מנחות לו and :סוטה מד
קריאת שמע AND ITS BLESSINGS
- What are the three פרשיות of קריאת שמע?
- Are they all from the תורה? Explain the disagreement of the ראשונים.
- Do we say all of them in theקריאת שמע of ערבית?
- Why do we add “ברוך שם....” after the verse “שמע ישראל?”
- Why do we extend “אחד?” How long do we extend it for?
- What is the law of לימוד תם?
- Why do we add the word “אמת” to קריאת שמע?
- What if you would change the order of the פרשיות? (Why do we read them in the order that was not written in the תורה?)
- Is it permissible to pause/stop in קריאת שמע and its blessings?
- What are the laws of pausing/stopping in תפילה and פסוקי דזמרא?
- Why do we begin with “ברכו” for the blessings in קריאת שמע?
- Why do we add “המבורך” to bless Hashem? See ברכות מט - נ.
- What are the laws of סמיכת גאולה לתפילה? Do we answer “אמן” after blessings in שמע?
- Does it seem like we stop between גאולה and תפילה? Why are we allowed to do this? Also in שחרית and ערבית!
- What is the critical difference between the blessings before שמע in שחרית and ערבית?
- The line, “יוצר אור ובורא חושך” is based on a פסוק. What פסוק?
- Did חז"ל change the פסוק? How? Why?
- Why do we remember the attributes of the day at night and those of the night during the day?
- Can we say the קריאת שמע in every language? Explain the debate of the תנאים. What is the הלכה?
- Do we pray in every language?
- Until which place do we need to have כוונה) כוונה from the heart)? Until which point in the עמידה?
- Explain all the times of קריאת שמע.
- Is the מצוה of תפילה from the תורהor from the Sages? Explain the debate of the ראשונים!
- Divide תפילה into three main parts.
- From where do we learn to precede praise with request?
- Explain the order of blessings according to the verses.
- Is it possible to explain the order of blessings also according by intuition?
- Why do we start with the אבות?
- What are the laws of the קדושה and everything in the קדושה ?
- Where do these laws come from?
- How many קדושות are there every morning? Why do we need each of them?
- What are the differences between these קדושות ?
- Do we fulfill the laws of קדושה with all of these?
- Where do we mention the prayer, גבורות גשמים, in the עמידה why?
- Where do we mention the request, why?
- Where do we differentiate, why?
- How many differences do we mention is אתה חונן? Are we allowed to add to them? Why?
- Where do we add “ענינו” on a fast day? In all the prayers? Why in this place?
- What do we add in the עשרת ימי תשובה, the 10 Days of Repentance, and what do we change?
- Where do we say מעין המאורע? Why?
- Where do we say על הניסים, and why? Do we also add על הניסים in ברכת המזון? Why does the Talmud specifically mention this?
- What is the law if a mistake is made in any of the situations mentioned above, explain the reason for the law and the different opinions!
- Where in תפילה do we bow? What is the law for a king and כהן גדול? Why? How far do you bow?
- How do you move (displace) your feet?
- How many blessings are in the prayers of a normal day, שבת, ראש השנה, and a fast day? According to what?
- What is מודים דרבנן, and why is it called this?
- Which פסוקים begin prayers and which פסוקים end prayers, and why?
- Which direction do we face in prayer, and from which פסוקים do we learn this?
- What makes מוסף prayer different than other prayers? Are there "make-ups" for מוסף prayer? And what are the general laws for "make-ups"?
- What is the מעין י"ח? Do we still pray the מעין י"חtoday?
- What is תפילת הדרך? What laws about תפילת הדרך are taught in the Gemara?
- Why is this prayer also called the עמידה? Are you allowed to sit in this prayer?
- Which laws about prayer do we learn from this?
- Who is silenced, and why?
- Are you allowed to praise Hashem? Are you allowed to add onto the praise that we say in prayers?
- Explain all the times of prayers!
- What is the difference between תחנון and תפילה?
- Do we say a fixed prayer or a free prayer? Is there a fixed text for תחנון?
- How did they bow in תחנון during the times of the Talmud?
- Why do we add והוא רחום on Monday and Thursday? Why do we stand?
קריאת התורה ON MONDAY AND THURSDAY
- Why do we read Torah on Mondays and Thursdays?
- Who instituted this reading?
- Explaining the laws of the blessing of thanksgiving upon being saved according to psalm 107!
- What is קדיש called in the Talmud?
- Why is קדיש in Aramaic?
- What is the importance of קדיש according to the Gemara?
- What is the meaning of יהא שמיה רבה?
- What do our sages say about answering יהא שמיה רבה with all of your strength?
- What is the fewest number of קדישות that can be said per day?
- What’s the difference between different קדישות ?
- What was the original קדיש ?
- After which studies do we say קדיש דרבנן? Is it necessary after Aggadic texts?
- When and why do we begin to say mourner’s קדיש ?
- In which rite is קדיש different according to the Vilna Gaon?
שיר של יום
- Why do we add psalms after prayer every day?
- Why do we choose special psalms for each day of the week?
- Why do the priests bless people at the end of prayer?
- What is the connection between the ברכת כוהנים and the שים שלום blessing?
- When do we say שים שלום and when do we say שלום רב?
- Why don’t the priests bless the people every day in the diaspora?
- In what way is the priestly blessing outside of the Temple different than the blessing in the Temple?
- Which religious laws do we learn in the Baraita: “כה תברכו”?
- Which הלכה does אניי learn from “אמור להם”?
- Who calls the priests (כהנים)?
- What does a כהן who does not go up violate?
- When in the prayer service does the כהן go up to bless?
- Is every כהן fit to bless the nation?
- What is the novel idea of רבי אלעזר בן שמעון?
- What do the priests say before and after the priestly blessing and why?
- What is the order of the priestly blessing according to רש"י and תוספות?
- In what way is the order of the priestly blessing different according to the רמב"ם? At the time during which the priests bless the people, what do they say? Did they really say these verses?
- Why are the priests not allowed to wear their shoes to bless the nation?
- Why do we call out the words of the priestly blessing to the priests?
- Is there the priestly blessing during the evening prayer?
- What is the custom in a congregation in which everyone is a priest?
- Is הלל a biblical or rabbinic commandment?
- Is the commandment of reading הלל mentioned in prophets or scriptures?
- Who said the original הלל?
- On which days do we read a full הלל in Israel and in the diaspora?
- When do we say a skipped הלל?
- Why do we not say a full הללon every day of Passover?
- Why is there no reading of הלל on the head of each month (ראש חודש)?
- Why is there no reading of הלל on ראש השנה?
- Do we read הלל on פורים?
- From which story do we learn of the custom to read a skipped הלל on ראש חודש?
- Why did our forefathers have this tradition?
- Which parts of הלל do we have the custom to skip? Why?
- Do we make a blessing on a custom? What is the disagreement of the ראשונים on the bracha on הלל on ראש חודש?
- Why is it customary to say the ending phrases of הלל twice?
- Who said the last verses of הלל according to the גמרא in פסחים?
- How is it possible that we split the “אנא ה׳ הושעה נא, אנא ה׳ הצליחה נא״ into two parts? Don’t we follow the rule that we cannot split up any pasuk that משה רבינו did not split?
- Why is it customary to read הלל on Seder night in shul after מעריב?
- Are women obligated to read הלל?
- What did they call הלל at the time of the Mishna?
- How did they mention this reading in the days of רבא?
- How many ברכות are there in מוסף on ראש השנה and what are they?
- What is the dispute on מלכיות between רבי יוחנן בן נורי and רבי עקיבא?
- How many פסוקים are there in מלכיות, זכרונות, and שופרות? For what reason are these the numbers?
- In what order to we say these פסוקים? What is difficult about this order?
- Do we add to the number of פסוקים? Why?
- Do we have enough פסוקים about מלכיות in the Torah?
- What are the central ideas of these ברכות?
- Who is the writer of the introductions to these ברכות?
- How many blasts of the שופר are we obligated from the תורה? What are they?
- Why do we need to hear thirty blasts in order to fulfill the Torah-derived מצוה?
- How long is a “תקיעה”? How long is a “תרועה”?
- In which תפילה do we first fulfill the obligation of blowing the שופר?
- Why did we change it?
- Why did we additionally establish a seated blowing? Do we really sit for these blasts? What is Rambam’s opinion?
- When we blow the שופר according the order in מוסף, which blasts do we blow according to the old custom?
- What is hard about this מנהג? How did רבינו תם establish this מנהג?
- How do you fulfill the holiday blasts today?
- How do we justify old traditions?
- According to our tradition, how many total voices are blown?
- Are there שופר blows in the silent עמידה?
- Do you mention ראש חודש in the prayers for ראש השנה?
- Do you also say “מועדים לשמחה חגים וזמנים לששון” on ראש השנה?
- Where and in which topic of ש"ס is the source of the prayer of “אבינו מלכינו” found?
- Explain the mitzvot of the confession in general and specifically on יום כיפור.
- Why do we also say confessions in the night during מנחה?
- Explain the idea of "וידוי עם חשיכה".
- Where does the individual confess and where does the שליח ציבור confess?
- How can you explain this difference?
- What can we learn from the text in מסכת יומא about confessions?
- What is the difference between the two main parts of confessions?
- Do we say both parts in every davening? Why do we do this?
- In total, how many confessions do we say on יום כיפור? what does this number correspond to?
- Why do we say the confessions according to the Aleph-Bet?
- Do we say confessions out loud?
- סליחות are an integral part of יום כיפור. What is the central part of סליחות ?
- How and where is the concept mentioned in the Talmud “to explain every word well?”
- We have a tradition to start saying סליחות before ראש השנה. How many days before ראש השנה do we start? Why?
- What is the Sephardic tradition? Why?
- What are the different parts and the general structure of סליחות?
- In סליחותthey bring a lot of plea פסוקים. What is the problem with this category of פסוקים?
SHAKING THE לולב
- According to the Mishnah, where in הלל do we shake the לולב?
- How do we know that we shake it in those places?
- What is our custom nowadays?
- According to the opinion that תוספות bring, does the חזן shake the לולב?
- Do we shake during the ברכה? What do תוספות say? If so, why do we shake it during הלל according to them?
- How is the רמב"ם's version different?
- Which directions do we shake the לולב? Why?
- In which hand do we hold the לולב and which hand do we hold the אתרוג? Why?
- Why do we make a blessing on the לולבbut not the other species?
- What is the difficulty regarding “עובר לעשייתה” in the brachah על נטילת לולב?
- We don’t say the שהחיינו blessing on the לולב the second day of סוכות, even though we do say it in קידוש the second night. What is the difference?
- Where in קידוש do we say שהחיינוon the second night of סוכות? Explain the versions of the ראש and the גרא
הגדה של פסח
- How is the time of קידוש on סדר night different from שבת? Why?
- At the סדר, everyone is required to drink a cup of wine, not just the person who made קידוש. Why?
- What is everyone required to eat and drink at the meal? Why?
- Break up the סדר into 4 parts corresponding to the 4 cups.
- Explain the idea of the fifth cup.
- Why do we eat כרפס (the first dipping)?
- How much כרפס do we eat? Why?
- In what do we dip the כרפס ? Explain the debate of the ראשונים.
- Why do we have two cooked foods? What did they use in the time of the Talmud? What do we traditionally use now? Why?
- Explain the Mishnaic debate about חרוסת.
- How many מצות do we eat? Explain the debate of the ראשונים.
- Why do we need a פרוסה?
- How do you awake the interest of children?
- Explain the four questions
- How does the רמבם differ from the general explanation of the four questions
- How are these four questions different than the other questions mentioned in the Mishna
- How many and which questions are from the time when the Beit HaMikdash was standing according to the רמב"ם?
- Which segment of the הגדה is based on the idea: “ according to the knowledge of the son, his father teaches him”?
- Explain the disagreement between Rav and Shmuel on: “מתחיל בגנות ןמסיים בשבח”
- “דורש מארמי אובד אבי” what is the explanation of the verb דורש and therefore what do we do?
- What is the disagreement between מפרשי המקרא and חזל on the meaning of the words “ארמי אובד אבי”?
- What is the difference between the מצוות of telling the story of leaving Egypt and the mitzvah of remembering Egypt?
- According to רבן גמליאל who did not fulfill his obligation?
- “In every generation one is obligated to view themselves like he left Egypt” How is the version of the רמב"ם different? What can we do to fulfill this mitzvah?
- Why is there a debate of saying הלל in the סדר?
- Why do we not say a blessing for הלל in the סדר
- Explain the debate between בית הלל and בית שמאי on the reading of הלל in מגיד? What are their reasons?
- Why does רבי עקיבא add on the ברכה of redemption of רבי טרפון?
- Are there those that switch "מן הפסחים ומן הזבחים" when the סדר night falls on Saturday night. Is it good to do this?
- Are you allowed to drink between the cups of wine? Explain the הלכות and reasons!
- What are the ברכות השיר? Explain רבי יהודה and רני יוחנן's explanation
- According to the רשב"ם you finish הלל with one blessing and the big הלל with a second blessing. What are they? Why did the רשב"ם think this?
- What is our practice? Do we agree with what רשב"ם says?
- Are women obligated in the מצווה of doing a סדר?
- Why do we not say ברכת המצוות on the story of leaving Egypt?
- From where do we learn that the blessing on the תפילין של ראש is divided into four houses?
- Which blessing is holier: the one for the תפילין של ראש or the של יד?
- Is one allowed to make the blessing for the של יד on the של ראש or the opposite?
- What are רש"י's Tefillin and רבינו תם's Tefillin?
- How do רש"י and רבינו תם explain the Baraita?
- How can you tell from their outer appearance if the תפילין are according to רש"י or רבינו תם?
- What are the different parts of תפילין?
- What are the הלכות למשה מסיני in the laws of תפילין?
- How long are the רצועות of the תפילין?
- What is the shape of the knot of the תפילין של ראש and תפילין של יד? Explain רש"י's position and that of תוספות!
- When do we bless the laying of תפילין?
- What are the blessings on the laying of תפילין?
- What do we bless on תפילין של ראש? Explain the argument between רש"י and רבינו תם?
- "One who speaks between each blessing is committing a transgression"; explain the entire principle according to the פרשת משוח מלחמה!
- Why do we put on תפילין של יד first?
- Is night a time for תפילין? Explain the debate of the ראשונים?
- Why do we remove the תפילין של ראש first?
- Explain the concept of "אין מעבירין על המצוות" as it relates to תפילין.
- Explain the debate between רבי יוסי הגלילי and רבי עקיבא on: “ושמרת את החוקה הזאת למועדה מימים ימימה”
- How do we learn to place the תפילין on our left hand?
- What’s the rule for a left handed person?
- How do we know that "ידך" is referring to your bicep?
- How do we know that “בין עיניך” refers to גונה of the head?
- Does a person have to tie the תפילין? Explain the debate between רבי אליהו and רבינו תם.
- Do we put on תפילין during חול המועד?
קבלת שבת and the תפילה of ליל שבת
- How did the sages of the Talmud prepare for Shabbat? How did they accept Shabbat?
- On which custom from the Talmudic sages was the famous poem לכה דודי based?
- How do we accept the holiness of Shabbat upon ourselves? What is the earliest time we can take in Shabbat?
- What does מעין שבע refer to?
- Do we mention a holiday in מעין שבע when that holiday falls on שבת? Explain the problem. What other problems are there in מעין שבע?
- What is the importance of reciting ויכולו on שבת Evening?
- How many times do we say ויכולו on שבת evening?
- How many times do we sanctify שבת on שבת evening? Where? How?
- Why do many shuls have the custom of making קידוש on a cup of wine?
- What is the problem with this?
ON READING TORAH AND HAFTORAH (Most of the following questions are based on Masechet Megillah)
- Why did משה establish תורה reading on Monday and Thursday (בבא קמא פרק ב)
- What did עזרא add to this decree?
- Why did he establish תורה reading on שבת afternoon service?
- What do we learn from the פסוק “וידבר משה את מועדי ה׳ אל בני ישראל”? (Megillah 31)
- In the ארץ ישראל, they would finish reading the Torah on the third of ניסן. How is this mentioned in מגילה כט:?
- Now, the simple tradition is to finish reading the complete תורה in one year. There is a connection between the time of the year and the תורה portion; explain the symbols on this topic according to Seder Rav Amram. (פיקוד פסח - מנה ועצור - צום וצלי - קום ותקע)
- When do we read the תורה portion of the תוכחה, according to עזרא's decree? Why? (מגילה לא:)
- At first, everyone read from the תורה themselves. Why did they decree that the בעל קורא reads for everyone? Does the person called to the תורה read in a whisper? Why?
- At first, the first person called up to the תורה made the first blessing, and the last person called up made the final blessing. Why, now, does everyone bless before and after his reading?
- How do we know that the reader must stand?
- Explain: “תרי קלי לא משתמעי”?
- On Monday and Thursday, we read three עליות: corresponding to what?
- We read at least 10 verses: corresponding to what?
- What is the exception to this rule where we only read 9 verses?
- We do not start a section with fewer than 3 verses and we don’t end a section with fewer than 3 verses. Why?
- How many people on the rest of the days other than Monday and Thursday? Why?
- Is it permissible to add on שבת? Why?
- What about on יום טוב? Explain the argument of the ראשונים!
- When do we read the 4 פרשיות (Shekalim etc.)? Why at these times?
- What do we read on each of the 3 major holidays? Why?
- What do we read on ראש השנה and יום כיפור? Why?
- Did they mention these readings also in the Mishna in Megillah? (30b) Explain this topic!
- What do we read on יום כיפור at מנחה? (Why? Different explanations!)
- What do we read on שמיני עצרת? What is the meaning of “כל הבכור מצות וחוקים ובכור”?
- What do we read on fast days according to the Mishnah in מגילה? Do we act this way? What does the רמב"ם say?
- What do we read on the Ninth of Av (תשעה באב) according to the Gemara in מגילה and according to our tradition?
- How is the reading of the last eight verses of the תורה different? (Bava Batra 15a)
- How do we know that a כהן is called to the תורה [gets an aliyah] first? (גיטין 29)
- What do you do if there is no כהן, or no לוי, in the synagogue?
- On holidays, we take out a second תורה scroll for reading about the additional sacrifices, the מוסף offerings (סדר רב עמרם). Why do we not do this on שבת?
- What was the מתרגם [the translator]? Why do we not translate the reading nowadays?
- Why did they establish the reading of the הפטרה? Different opinions!
- What is the meaning of the Hebrew word הפטרה?
- What is the connection between the reading of the הפטרה to the reading of the Torah? (פה ז״א דדמי ליה — Megillah 29b)
- What is the הפטרה for שמחת תורה according to the Talmud and according to our traditions? (Explain the matter)?
- What is the minimum amount of verses to read for the הפטרה and why is that the minimum?
- When can we read less than this, and why?
- How many Blessings do we read before and after the הפטרה, and why? (Pesachim 104b)
- What is the meaning/purpose of these blessings?
- How did they read “נאמנים" etc. according to מסכת סופרים?
- Why is a quorum required for the הפטרה?
- Why is a quorum required for the reading of the תורה?
- What are the “ג' דפורענותא”?
- What are the “ג' דנחמתא”?
- What are the “ב' דתיובתא”?
- When do we read from the הפטרה at the afternoon service but not at the morning service? Why? (תוספות beginning of “פרק הקורא” Tractate Megillah 21a)
- Do we read from the prophets at the afternoon service of the שבת? (Tractate Megillah 21a, Tractate Shabbat 24a)
- Is it permitted to skip from section to section in the reading of the תורה and הפטרה?
- Is the festival mentioned in the blessings for the הפטרה on a שבת that falls during the intermediate days of a festival? (Shulchan Arukh, Orach Chaim 490)
- How many blessings are said after the הפטרה on a fast day? Why?
- What is the consequence of the answer to the above question regarding [the הפטרה during] the afternoon service of the יום כיפור? (Shulchan Arukh, Orach Chaim 622)
- Why do we add על הניסים in מודים in the עמידה?
- Why do we add על הניסים in ברכת המזון?
- In the Gemara in מסכת שבת, it is given that we add על הניסים to מודים but there is a doubt regarding whether or not we add it to ברכת המזון. Why?
- What is the ruling if you accidentally skip על הניסים in ברכת המזון?
- What is the ruling if you accidentally skip על הניסים in the עמידה?
- Why is the ruling by ברכת המזון different than the ruling by the עמידה?
- Do we say על הניסים or ועל הניסים?
- There are versions that have “בימים ההם ובזמן הזה” in place of “בזמן הזה”. What is the difference in the definition of these phrases?
- Many ראשונים added a request to “Al Hanisim”: “כשם שעשית”. Why do we not do this?
- In על הניסים for מעריב there is just one Aramaic word “פורקן”. Why?
- The miracle of חנוכה and the commandment of lighting candles don’t appear in על הניסים. Why?
- In Al Hamichya, חנוכה doesn’t appear like שבת or יום טוב. Why?
- על הניסים for חנוכה is longer than for פורים. Why?
- Do we read הלל on חנוכה and פורים? Explain the difference.
- What Torah reading portion do we read on חנוכה?
- Why do we read this in society?
- What is the dispute between the מחבר and the רמ"א regarding the third Torah portion reading? What is the reason for this dispute?
- How many Torahs do we take out on שבת חנוכה when ראש חודש falls on שבת? What do we read in each? Why did we do it like this?
- When do we read the הפטרה of חנוכה and not the הפטרה of ראש חודש
- When do we make the blessing of lighting candles according to the רמא?
- What is the order in מסכת סופרים?
- How can we pay attention to these two opinions from the second day and on?
- When do we light the candles at home?
- When do we light the candles on מוצאי שבת and why?
- When do we light the candles in shul on מוצאי שבת and why?