10) And Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran.
11) And he lighted upon a certain place, and remained there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep.
12) And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven; and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
13) And, behold, Adonai stood above it, and said, I am Adonai God of Abraham your
father, and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie, to you will I give it, and to your seed;
14) And your seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south; and in you and in your seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
15) And, behold, I am with you, and will keep you in all places where you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you, until I have done that about which I have spoken to you. [Translation by Judaica Press, edited for gender neutrality]
Suggested Discussion Questions:
This dream took place on the future site of the Temple in Jerusalem. What does this source teach about the holiness of place?
Time Period: Biblical (early ancestors to 165 BCE)