(1) A Song of Ascension. For David. Had we not had the Eternal, let Israel now declare,
(2) Had we not had the Eternal, when men rose against us,
(3) they would have swallowed us alive
as their rage burned against us;
(4) the waters would have carried us off, the torrent would have swept over us;
(5) then the the seething waters would have swept over us.
(6) Blessed is the Eternal,
who did not let us be ripped apart by their teeth.
(7) We are like a bird escaped from the fowler’s trap;
the trap broke and we escaped.
(8) Our help is the name of the Eternal, maker of heaven and earth.