(17) Now the Eternal had said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, (18) since Abraham is to become a great and populous nation and all the nations of the earth are to bless themselves by him? (19) For I have singled him out, that he may instruct his children and his posterity to keep the way of the Eternal by doing righteousness and justice, in order that the Eternal may bring about for Abraham what has been promised to him.”
(20) So the Eternal said, “The outrage of Sodom and Gomorrah is so great, and their sin so grave! (21) I will go down to see whether they have acted according to the outcry that has reached Me; if not, I will take note.”...
(23) Abraham came forward and said, “Will You sweep away the righteous along with the wicked? (24) What if there should be fifty righteous within the city; will You then wipe out the place and not forgive it for the sake of the righteous fifty who are in it? (25) Far be it from You to do such a thing, to bring death upon the righteous as well as the wicked, so that righteous and wicked fare alike. Far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?”
(26) And the Eternal answered, “If I find within the city of Sodom fifty righteous ones, I will forgive the whole place for their sake.”
(27) Abraham spoke up, saying, “Here I venture to speak to my Lord, I who am but dust and ashes: (28) What if the fifty righteous should lack five...?