(7) You enticed me, O Lord, and I was enticed;
You overpowered me and You prevailed.
I have become a laughingstock all day long,
Everyone jeers at me.
(8) For every time I speak, I must cry out, Must shout, “Violence and theft!”
For the word of the Lord causes me disgrace and contempt all day long.
(9) I thought, “I will not mention God,
No more will I speak in God name”—
But it was like a fire raging in my heart,
Shut up in my bones;
I could not hold it in, I was helpless.
(10) I heard the whispers of the crowd— Terror all around:
“Inform! Let us inform against him!”
All my friends are waiting for me to stumble:
“Perhaps he can be entrapped,
And we can prevail against him
And take our vengeance on him.”
(11) But the Lord is upon me like a warrior;
Therefore my persecutors shall stumble; They shall not prevail and shall not succeed.
They shall be utterly shamed
With an eternal humiliation,
Which shall not be forgotten.
(12) O Lord of Hosts,
Who test the righteous,
Who examines the heart and the mind,
Let me see Your retribution upon them,
For I lay my case before You.
(13) Sing unto the Lord,
Praise the Lord,
For God has rescued the needy
From the hands of evildoers!
(14) Cursed be the day that I was born!
The day mother bore me - let it not be blesseed!
(15) Cursed be the man who brought my father the news and said,
“A boy is born to you,”
And gave him such joy!
(16) Let that man become like the cities Which the Lord overthrew without relenting!
Let him hear shrieks in the morning
And the sound of the alarm at noon —
(17) Because he did not kill me before birth So that my mother might be my grave,
Her womb pregnant for all time.