(1) The vision of Isaiah ben Amotz, who saw visions of Judah and Jerusalem during the reign of Uzziah, Yotam, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.
(2) Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth, For the Eternal has spoken:
“I reared children and brought them up— and they have rebelled against Me!
(3) An ox knows its owner, A donkey its master’s trough:
But Israel knows nothing, My people has no consideration.”
(4) Ah, sinful nation! People laden with iniquity! Brood of evildoers! Depraved children!
They have forsaken the Eternal, Spurned the Holy One of Israel, Turned their backs.
(5) Why do you seek further beatings, That you continue to offend?
Every head is ailing, And every heart is sick.
(6) From the bottom of the foot to the top of the head, no spot is sound: All bruises, and welts, And raw wounds —
Not pressed out, not bound up, not softened with oil.
(7) Your land is a waste, your cities burnt down; Your ground is consumed before you by strangers— A wasteland as overthrown by strangers!
(8) Fair Zion is left like a shack in a vineyard, Like a hut in a cucumber field, like a city beleaguered.
(9) Had not the Eternal of Legions left us a few survivors, We would be like Sodom, just like another Gomorrah.
(10) Hear the word of the Eternal, You captains of Sodom; Give ear to our God’s instruction, You folk of Gomorrah!
(11) “What need have I of all your sacrifices?” Says the Eternal. “I am sated with burnt offerings of rams, the suet of fatlings, And blood of bulls; And I have no delight in lambs and goats.
(12) That you come to appear before Me— Who asked that of you? Trample My courts
(13) no more; Bringing oblations is futile, Incense is offensive to Me. New moon and sabbath, Proclaiming of solemnities, Assemblies with iniquity, I cannot abide.
(14) Your new moons and fixed seasons Fill Me with loathing; They are become a burden to Me, I cannot endure them.
(15) And when you lift up your hands, I will turn My eyes away from you; Though you pray at length, I will not listen.
Your hands are stained with crime—
(16) Wash yourselves clean; Put your evil doings Away from My sight. Cease to do evil;
(17) Learn to do good. Seek justice; Aid the wronged. Uphold the rights of the orphan; Defend the cause of the widow.