https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshbousel/409160859 by Josh Bousel Attribution- CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Food is an important element in Megillat Esther and the celebration of Purim. In fact, many of the traditional Purim foods carry the same "hidden" motif that we see in the Purim story as a whole.
Read the sources below. In each case, how does food play a role in the story?
Purim is celebrated by feasting and giving mishloach manot, gifts of food, to our friends.
- What is your favorite Purim food?
Depending on what country your family originates from, you might be eating a variety of Purim foods.
Read this article to get an idea of the large variety of Purim foods around the world.
- What do most of the foods have in common?
- How do the foods convey the motif of things being hidden or not as they seem?
- Which food would you most like to eat?
Design a new Purim food.
- What would it look like?
- What would it taste like?
- What would be its connection to the Purim story?
Food for thought: Why do you think we symbolically eat or punish Haman when we don't do that to other enemies who have tried to destroy the Jewish people?