Overview of a source sheet
Making source sheets on Sefaria is easy and allows creators to draw together a wide variety of sources, across media, and create a shareable digital product.
Watch the video for a quick introduction to source sheets.
How do I start a sheet?
Start a new sheet:
When you create a sheet, you are creating your own webpage. Sefaria gives you a blank digital space, and you can collect sources, make notes for yourself, or create multi-media resources to share with others.
What can I add to a sheet and how do I do it?
Sefaria offers a number of ways to add to your sheet. The instructions below will take you through the different techniques!
Add a source from within a source sheet
Watch a video explaining how to add sources to a source sheet.
Add a source directly from the library view
Texts can be added directly to a sheet while you are studying in the library. You can add the text to a sheet that you’ve already created, or start a new sheet and add texts as you learn them.
Add a connected text to your sheet:
Once a text from the Sefaria library has been added to a source sheet, you can easily add any text from the Sefaria library that is connected to the text on your sheet.
Add a text from outside Sefaria:
Anything that is available digitally - on a webpage, in a database, or on your computer - or anything that you can type out, can be added to a sheet.
Add media to your sheet:
Make your sheet more dynamic and engaging by adding an image, audio, or video!
4. To add a YouTube video, enter the URL of the video and click “Add to Sheet”. You can do the same with SoundCloud or an MP3.
- For YouTube, it’s the “share” URL (when you click to share a video from YouTube, it gives you a URL).
- For MP3, the file name needs to end with .mp3.
Add a comment:
Your comment might be background information about the source, your thoughts about a source, or questions for the readers of the sheet.
What formatting options do I have?
Format your sheet
There are many options for formatting your sheet.
I have created my sheet. Can I continue to edit it?
A really useful aspect of your Sefaria sheet is that you can always edit it.
To edit a sheet, make sure that you are in "Edit Mode" and not "Library View".
To enter "Edit Mode", click on the down arrow next to the sheet's name in the header and click "Edit Sheet".
How do I share my sheet?
Join our vibrant community of sheet creators by making your sheets public, and by adding tags and a summary so that the materials you share are maximally useful to other members of our community.
1. Click on the “Share” button in the upper right-hand corner to open the form.
2. Write a summary of your sheet, add tags, and choose whether or not to list the sheet publicly on Sefaria.
3. Click “Save” when you are done. (You can always open the form again to make changes by clicking on the “Share” button.)
Explanation of privacy settings:
Listed on Sefaria:
- If you choose "No", the sheet is private to you. You may share the URL with anyone but the sheet will not be searchable.
- If you choose "Yes", the sheet is publicly available to Sefaria users.
Anyone with access can:
- View - By selecting this option, the sheet can be read by those who have access.
- Add - By selecting this option, registered Sefaria users who are logged in can add to the sheet. The name of the person who added to the sheet will be written along with their addition.
- Edit - By selecting this option, registered Sefaria users who are logged in can edit the sheet. Edits are not attributed to the person who made the edit.
Can I share my sheet by embedding it into my site?
Embedding a sheet allows your audience to scroll through the sheet without leaving the website or framework that you have created. As with any Sefaria sheet, a learner may still click on a source title to open the full text and go beyond what is included in the sheet.
Embedding a sheet works perfectly with learning management systems (LMS), websites or newsletters.
To embed a sheet, click "Embed Sheet" from the "File" menu. Copy and paste the embed code.
How do I delete, print, or export to Google Drive?
Click on "Delete", "Print" or "Export to Google Drive" from the File menu.