The Brain's Limbic System - The Amygdala is the executive center for fear processing.
"Fight or Flight" is triggered here.
- The amygdala is fully mature by 8 months of gestation.
- Early experience has disproprotionate impact on us.
- Misattuned parents, brutal social systems, war, prejudice etc. programme us early on with feelings, perceptions, beliefs that we believe are true.
- Without the ability to connect fears to the past, they just seem to arise in us.
- Children learn fear.
- Avoidance reinforces fear; Confrontation inhibits fear.
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself; nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.”
"The key to growth is the introduction of higher dimensions of consciousness into our awareness.
“When we were leaving he came out with his straight Zionist line, no more hints. “You must return here to live,” he said. “This is the only place for Jews like you. Here you will be free.”
“Free?” I ventured to reply. “Free? With enemy armies ringing you, with their leaders publicly threatening to wipe out ‘the Zionist entity,’ with your roads impassable after sundown—free?”
“I did not say safe,” the old man retorted, “I said free.”
Herman Wouk. “The Will To Live On”.