Suggested Discussion Questions:
1. How does this 1937 speech anticipate the problems Israel has had with its Arab residents and neighbors since 1948?
2. How does Szold incorporate democracy and Judaism into her vision for the future of Palestine?
3. What does Szold mean by the phrase “ethical implications,” which appears at the end of the first paragraph?
4. For Szold, what is the connection between the ideals of Zionism and one’s daily life in Palestine?
5. According to Szold, how have Jewish efforts in Palestine, up to this point, established the foundation for the future state?
6. Szold died before the creation of the modern state of Israel. How might she have viewed its current circumstances?
For more on Henrietta Szold, see the Jewish Women's Archive "Woman of Valor" exhibit at http://jwa.org/womenofvalor/szold