(א) וַיְדַבֵּ֥ר יְהוָ֖ה אֶל־מֹשֶׁ֥ה לֵּאמֹֽר (ב) דַּבֵּ֞ר אֶל־כָּל־עֲדַ֧ת בְּנֵי־יִשְׂרָאֵ֛ל וְאָמַרְתָּ֥ אֲלֵהֶ֖ם קְדֹשִׁ֣ים תִּהְי֑וּ כִּ֣י קָד֔וֹשׁ אֲנִ֖י יְהוָ֥ה אֱלֹהֵיכֶֽם׃
(1) And God spoke to Moses, saying, (2) Speak to all the congregation of the children of Israel, and you shall say to them "You shall be holy, because I, YHVH your God, am holy."
(ג) אִ֣ישׁ אִמּ֤וֹ וְאָבִיו֙ תִּירָ֔אוּ וְאֶת־שַׁבְּתֹתַ֖י תִּשְׁמֹ֑רוּ אֲנִ֖י יְהוָ֥ה אֱלֹהֵיכֶֽם׃ (ד) אַל־תִּפְנוּ֙ אֶל־הָ֣אֱלִילִ֔ים וֵֽאלֹהֵי֙ מַסֵּכָ֔ה לֹ֥א תַעֲשׂ֖וּ לָכֶ֑ם אֲנִ֖י יְהוָ֥ה אֱלֹהֵיכֶֽם׃
(3) You shall each revere his mother and his father, and you shall observe my Sabbaths. I am YHVH your God (4) Do not turn to idols, and you shall not make molten gods for yourselves. I am YHVH, your God.
Comments to Box #1:
"You shall be holy, because I, YHVH your G-d, am holy. (2)" Why is it so important for us to be holy? According to G-d, this is because He is holy. For some reason, however, he does not go into more detail. For some people, this may be enough, but for me, I need a bit more. I don’t see a necessity to be holy, simply because G-d is. This is like being a doctor or a lawyer just because your parents are. This is too demanding of a request, especially since human nature is not really inclined to be holy. So why is G-d asking us to be holy? I believe it is simply so it reflects well on the people and G-d himself. -Elijah
Jordan Kalman: Why does Moses have to be God's messenger? Why can't God personally tell the Jewish people?
Comments to Box #2:
How are we supposed to honor Shabbat? -Jillian
Jordan Kalman: In what ways does God want us to revere out parents?
(ט) וּֽבְקֻצְרְכֶם֙ אֶת־קְצִ֣יר אַרְצְכֶ֔ם לֹ֧א תְכַלֶּ֛ה פְּאַ֥ת שָׂדְךָ֖ לִקְצֹ֑ר וְלֶ֥קֶט קְצִֽירְךָ֖ לֹ֥א תְלַקֵּֽט׃ (י) וְכַרְמְךָ֙ לֹ֣א תְעוֹלֵ֔ל וּפֶ֥רֶט כַּרְמְךָ֖ לֹ֣א תְלַקֵּ֑ט לֶֽעָנִ֤י וְלַגֵּר֙ תַּעֲזֹ֣ב אֹתָ֔ם אֲנִ֖י יְהוָ֥ה אֱלֹהֵיכֶֽם׃
(9) And when you reap your land's harvest, you shall not finish harvesting your field's corner, and you shall not gather your harvest's gleaning. (10) And you shall not strip your vineyard, and you shall not collect the vineyard's fallen fruit. You shall leave them for the poor and for the alien. I am YHVH, your God.
Comments to Box #3:
This is the foundation of tzedakah
Jordan Kalman: What if the poor people didn't feel comfortable going on someone's property to get food?
(יא) לֹ֖א תִּגְנֹ֑בוּ וְלֹא־תְכַחֲשׁ֥וּ וְלֹֽא־תְשַׁקְּר֖וּ אִ֥ישׁ בַּעֲמִיתֽוֹ׃ (יב) וְלֹֽא־תִשָּׁבְע֥וּ בִשְׁמִ֖י לַשָּׁ֑קֶר וְחִלַּלְתָּ֛ אֶת־שֵׁ֥ם אֱלֹהֶ֖יךָ אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה׃ (יג) לֹֽא־תַעֲשֹׁ֥ק אֶת־רֵֽעֲךָ֖ וְלֹ֣א תִגְזֹ֑ל לֹֽא־תָלִ֞ין פְּעֻלַּ֥ת שָׂכִ֛יר אִתְּךָ֖ עַד־בֹּֽקֶר׃ (יד) לֹא־תְקַלֵּ֣ל חֵרֵ֔שׁ וְלִפְנֵ֣י עִוֵּ֔ר לֹ֥א תִתֵּ֖ן מִכְשֹׁ֑ל וְיָרֵ֥אתָ מֵּאֱלֹהֶ֖יךָ אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה׃
(11) "You shall not steal and you shall not lie, and you shall not act false, each against his fellow. (12) And you shall not swear by my name falsely, so that you would desecrate your God's name, I am YHVH. (13) You shall not exploit your neighbor, and you shall not rob. An employees wages shall not stay through the night with you until morning. (14) You shall not curse a deaf person, and you shall not place a stumbling block in front of a blind person. And you shall fear/awe your God. I am YHVH.
Comment to Box #4:
Why does God want us to fear him?-DR PARDO
Jordan Kalman: Why is this text so vague about some rules and specific when it comes to others?
(15) You shall not do an injustice in judgement. You shall not be partial to a weak person, and you shall not favor a big person. You shall judge your fellow with justice. (16) You shall not go with slander among your people. You shall not stand by your neighbor's blood. I am God.
Comments to Box #5:
The good samaritan- being the hero or person who stands up for the weak when necessary- DORON
Jordan Kalman Is this verse talking about how we need to be fair?
(17) You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall critcize your fellow so you shall not bear sin over him. (18) You shall not take revenge, and you shall not keep on at the children of your people. And you shall love your neighbor as yourself. I am YHVH.`
Comments to Box #6:
Jordan Kalman: You should't show hatred towards anyone.
(19) You shall observe my laws. Your animal: you shall not mate two kinds. Your field: you shall not seed two kinds. And a garment of two kinds, sha'atnez: it shall not go on you.
Comments to Box #7:
Jordan Kalman Why does God talk about mating with animals and crops?