Test your knowledge of the different types of Midrash! Here is your mission:
1) Make a copy of this sheet: Click on the little gray arrow at the top of this page, right next to the title, and open the sheet in "edit" mode. Click "file" and "copy sheet." Sefaria will generate a copy of the sheet that will be saved in to your Sefaria account.
2) Visualize the sheet: Click on "file" and "visualize." Sefaria will put each text on the sheet in its own box. Click and drag in order to resize the boxes and to move them around. You can also click on the colored dots to change the colors.
3) Sort the midrashim: Read each midrash and decide if it is midrash aggadah or halakhah. Move the different types of midrashim to different sides of the sheet, and color-code them as well (for example, make one kind yellow, and one kind blue).
3) Answer the questions: Use the "back" button on your browser to go back to the regular sheet view, and answer the questions below.
Tip: If you are having trouble sorting or understanding the midrashim, remember that you can always click on the source in the Sefaria sheet to open connected texts. It might be helpful to see the verse that the midrash is explaining!
5) Finish organizing your sheet: Click on "file," and "visualize," and click, drag, and color code to arrange your answers as well.
6) Submit your work: Send the link to the fully visualized sheet to me via email!
For the Midrashei Halakhah, answer the following questions:
What law is this midrash teaching?
What about the verse allows the Midrash to derive the law from the text?
For the Midrashei Aggadah, answer the following questions:
What gaps in the story are being filled in by the midrash?
What hints (if any) in the Bible are reflected in this midrash?
Final Question: Which midrash do you think adds the most meaning to the Passover seder? Explain why this is the one you think is most important to your experience of the seder.